This is by far my favorite thing I've seen coming out of the rap scene since 'trap goin' ham'. Both of those videos take me back to high school. To the times when almost all rap videos were shot in the group's projects/hoods. There were always just crazy mobs of angry looking dudes in the background, someone's benz was always somewhere in there and they were all throwing around $400 like it was a million bucks.
Something I've always thought about is how hard it is to stay relevant in hip-hop. The things that make you interesting to listen to when you start out all of a sudden aren't there when you start to make some money. You can't claim to be sticking kids up, selling rocks on the corner or any of that other nonsense that for some reason draws people to you in the first place. So how do you not 'sell out'? In a business that is so dead-set on people keeping it real and staying hood, how do you do this and still be successful? Bear in mind, I'm not talking about all rappers here. All rappers don't start out talking about crack and pimping hoes. Those who don't have an easier time once they have some success. Take, for instance, Common or Tribe Called Quest or someone of that nature. They didn't build their careers on being gangster rappers so they don't need to worry about this. But for those that do start that way, it seems to me that its either stay hood and make no money or go big and get hated on by the same community that made you popular in the first place. Guys like Cassidy or Jadakiss have never made money. I mean, they've made some money but nothing like 50 or Nas or Jay-Z. The crowd these guys are playing to can't relate to them. I don't know shit about flying in Lear jets. I don't know shit about Phantom Bentleys. And to be honest, I don't know shit about selling rocks. But at least I can connect with the hardship part of the last example. Life ain't easy. Life's a bitch. I can connect with that. Anyway, this is getting long. I just think its interesting that these videos are made with such tiny budgets and can be so much better that big deal productions.
This is by far my favorite thing I've seen coming out of the rap scene since 'trap goin' ham'. Both of those videos take me back to high school. To the times when almost all rap videos were shot in the group's projects/hoods. There were always just crazy mobs of angry looking dudes in the background, someone's benz was always somewhere in there and they were all throwing around $400 like it was a million bucks.
ReplyDeleteSomething I've always thought about is how hard it is to stay relevant in hip-hop. The things that make you interesting to listen to when you start out all of a sudden aren't there when you start to make some money. You can't claim to be sticking kids up, selling rocks on the corner or any of that other nonsense that for some reason draws people to you in the first place. So how do you not 'sell out'? In a business that is so dead-set on people keeping it real and staying hood, how do you do this and still be successful? Bear in mind, I'm not talking about all rappers here. All rappers don't start out talking about crack and pimping hoes. Those who don't have an easier time once they have some success. Take, for instance, Common or Tribe Called Quest or someone of that nature. They didn't build their careers on being gangster rappers so they don't need to worry about this. But for those that do start that way, it seems to me that its either stay hood and make no money or go big and get hated on by the same community that made you popular in the first place. Guys like Cassidy or Jadakiss have never made money. I mean, they've made some money but nothing like 50 or Nas or Jay-Z. The crowd these guys are playing to can't relate to them. I don't know shit about flying in Lear jets. I don't know shit about Phantom Bentleys. And to be honest, I don't know shit about selling rocks. But at least I can connect with the hardship part of the last example. Life ain't easy. Life's a bitch. I can connect with that. Anyway, this is getting long. I just think its interesting that these videos are made with such tiny budgets and can be so much better that big deal productions.
skip, you're burnt. Phantoms are made by Rolls Royce. The rest of your psychotic babbling was great, though.
ReplyDelete